[LMB] Belief: Was What makes a character irredeemable?

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 20:34:19 BST 2019

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 1:40 PM Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've no doubt that there would be a few such people, because cynicism
> knows few bounds, but it seems to me that they'd be considered to be
> in the same territory in the 5GU that flat-earthers are in ours.

Rogue demons are uncommon, but not legendary.  And while overt miracles are
quite rare, they do happen and are witnessed.  I've no doubt there are
sincere skeptics who might go through their lives without ever encountering
evidence for the gods, but by and large I think they'd be roughly in the
same category as solar eclipses - unusual and implausible sounding, but
something that doesn't really require faith.

There's also the point that people who go about blatantly lying about the
gods would tend to have subtle, untraceable bad thing happen to them.
There doesn't seem to be the wild proliferation of religions or religious
claims that there are in our world.

Matt "no Prosperity Gospel?  Practically paradise" G.