[LMB] Non-binary people (was: Gendered English)

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 1 08:56:35 BST 2019

From: Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com

Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Gwynne: I think I've caught up to most of the conversation now. The whole
> red-hair thing confused me, since the incidence of red hair varies quite a bit
> from place to place. And I wasn't aware that FGM victims were referred to as
> intersex - I'd never heard of them being included in that grouping before.

When a child is born whose genital configuration doesn't conform to
male/female "standards", sometimes surgery is performed to "correct"
the perceived problem.  Even if there is no actual health problem.
It's assumed that a child must be one or the other to grow up healthy
and happy.  This practise is often regarded as genital mutilation,
especially by those in the intersex community....

Gwynne: Thank you, that's a very clear and straightforward explanation.