[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Lorelei Kaena lorelei.kaena at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 17:06:26 BST 2019

How to you, then, explain Cordelia’s horror at the lack of disabled people on Barrayar? She notes the lack of float chairs (the equivalent of wheel chairs), of people caregiving their fully-disabled relatives or employers, and wonders how her son will be seen on the benighted planet that sees no value in people that are not able-bodied...

Not, in other words, a society that gene-cleans to the extent you’re suggesting. Not Beta, at least, and probably not most of the Nexus.

Because human rights do tend to mean something to most people, unless you’re trying to build an ubermench (the Cetas), or are dealing with unavoidable nuclear fallout (Barrayar) and just don’t care anymore (see how they went full China with sex selection).

You don’t select handedness to make it cheaper for corporations. Good god.

Turlach