[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 04:57:29 BST 2019

On 10/3/2019 3:24 PM, Lorelei Kaena wrote:
> Not in particular, of course not. In general? It’s written right there. All those ‘cruel chromosomal defects’ gone, ‘so much heartbreak avoided’. Which would mean, perforce, that the people who carried them in their genes are gone. That’s what gene-editing is.

Forgive me Toras [if memory serves is a major medico over in Britain]
but I am going to wing the manes of genes and diseases for sake of my
sanity, I could not handle having to google everything right now...

OK, let us give Rob my elder husband a look. Colon cancer gallops in his
family, his maternal side - grandmother, one aunt and one cousin died
directly of it, he has already started the ritual colonoscopies and has
had several polyops removed and has his second butt spelunking set up
for tuesday [mine is upcoming wednesday]. His fathers side is prone to
diabetes [one grandfather, several cousins and Rob himself] Gene a1cdg
is responsible for a tendency towards diabetes via autoimmune attack on
the pancreas and gene 2buf4 is responsible for being prone to colon cancer.

If one edited those 2 genes out, I do not see how it would make Rob not
Rob - though Milesean arguments of nurture vs nature apply I suppose. Or
are you positing his soul would be appreciably different without the
expression of those 2 genes?

I am autistic, are you saying my over 150 IQ [tested several times
through my educational trek - and each time I was within a close enough
margin that one would guesstimate the testing was accurate for certain
values of accurate] would not be there without the 3Gn3 gene expressing,
or that my soul would not be the same, given the exact same childhood
treatment [I would assume that my parents would still give me free rein
at reading anything I want to grab, and the same educational
opportunities - though I would have liked not to have the shyness and
awkwardness while being trained to be able to fake being neurotypical.
Would I still have my facility for languages, speed reading and focus?]

---