Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 4 09:13:05 BST 2019

From: Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com>
A few snips of a very good post, for brevity

I can think of some changes that would be great improvements.
Getting rid of heritable bad traits, like Alzheimer's and a tendency to
cancer, would also be IMO a Good Thing.  I've seen too many good people
laid low by both, and seen that those things galloped through their family
trees.  That would go double and triple for hemophilia.
You wouldn't have to go full-haut (or full-Draka, for that matter) to be
able to do a lot of good stuff with that sort of technology.

Gwynne: I keep thinking of some of the kids I taught. You can break your
heart looking at sweet kids who, you know, will struggle all their lives, even
have shortened lives, due to some genetic defect. Just imagine being able
to remove those problems, so that the children could keep up, physically
and/or intellectually, with their peers. Anyone with a heart would, if given
the choice, have to say yes to some gene-twitching that would take those
problems away.