[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 4 09:47:18 BST 2019

From: Luke Bretscher <rocketman0739 at gmail.com>

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 2:24 PM Lorelei Kaena <lorelei.kaena at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not in particular, of course not. In general? It?s written right there. All those ?cruel chromosomal defects? gone, ?so much heartbreak avoided?. Which would mean, perforce, that the people who carried them in their genes are gone. That?s what gene-editing is.

I'm pretty sure they meant that the children of the people who carried
those genes would be genetically modified, as embryos, to not carry
those genes.

Gwynne: Thank you. Yes. I don't see people as 'chromosomal defects', I
see them as people, some of whom have huge challenges to face in their
lives due to a random combination of DNA. Some of those poor, sweet
children that I taught who had heartbreaking problems - I'd never wish
those children or their families away, but imagine the joy, and the difference
to their lives, if those chromosomal defects were gone and they were free
to reach their full potential, free to have the same choices as everyone else.
I wish their lives could have been more, not less.

Luke