[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 4 09:58:31 BST 2019

From: Lorelei Kaena <lorelei.kaena at gmail.com>

If I?ve said that, show me. I?ve said that families *like mine* wouldn?t exist in a Nexus like Gwen imagines (not real life!), but it isn?t the Nexus I?ve read, which is my entire argument. I block-quoted, something you can?t do, because I never said what you?re accusing me of.
I never said anyone wanted to kill or sterilize me or my family. I do believe Gwen typed a eugenics fantasy about the Nexus as she wants to be, without any genetic disability, or Deafness, or sign languages, there?s a ton to unpack in her statement....

Gwynne: It's Gwynne, not Gwen. To make it clearer, I have never said that any
families could or should be wiped out or sterilized. I said, clearly I thought, that
we've been told repeatedly about gene-cleaning being done in the Nexus as
a matter of course, and I was wondering just where they'd draw the lines, or where
we would expect them to be.

I don't see people as a genetic problem on legs, so I didn't ever say that any person
should be wiped out, didn't even consider the word 'sterilized'. I simply tried to
discuss something we've already been told; that genetic anomalies and defects
are removed. And I wondered how this would change things like the medical
establishment and resources compared to today.

Is it a fantasy? It's a situation to consider. Yes, maybe it's a fantasy that people who
carry serious problems could have a life without them.

Oh, btw my cousin is profoundly deaf. So was my father until the Stapedectomy.
My grandmother and my mother had/have hearing aids. I have some hearing
loss. I didn't mention deafness, and I don't have a 'fantasy' about killing all deaf
people. But my father and my cousin would have had much easier lives without
that problem. My cousin's children didn't always have easy childhoods, either,
with two profoundly deaf parents. I don't wish them dead, I wish they'd had a
better chance.

Discuss in good faith or not at all, please.
Turlach

Gwynne: Discuss honestly or not at all please. And don't put words in my mouth.