[LMB] Birthday Tixie for October 4

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 4 10:11:15 BST 2019

Today, we have two birthdays to celebrate.

At the last meeting of the Bujold Multi-Verse Poetry Society
(yes, the name changed; we’re subject to schisms here),
I asked around. “Who wants to write an Aral Vorkosigan
Declamation in iambic pentameter for Sue Wartell’s birthday
on October 4?”

And Mr. Mercutio T. Vorpsmith said, “Me, me, me!”

But I have to tell you, List Friends, I am sorely disappointed in
Mr. Vorpsmith. He has heavily plagiarized from at least three
poets and a children’s song. I was tempted to throw it out and
just serve brillberry pie, but then he sweet talked me with ideas of
“transformative” and “it’s all public domain” and “Burroughs
cut-up method”, so I let it through. I hope you enjoy it, Sue,
and have a lovely day full of good things.

Where are the songs of spring? Ay, where are they?
Now is the autumn of our discontent
When I do count the clock that tells the day
That I may rise and stand, or fall so bent.

Then in a wailful choir the small gnats mourn.
The ants go marching one-by-one, hurrah.
Oh Lord! We start to die the day we’re born.
Barrayar was born under Ares’ law.

We also celebrate the birthday of Raye Johnson, who is (we hope!)
enjoying a spring birthday with lots of good things happening! We
have a poem from Adelaide Crapsey Rodriguez, who invented the
Escobaran cinquain in another lifetime, or so she says. It’s a simple
form of 2-4-6-8-2, but can pack a punch, particularly when you have
a nice bowl of maple ambrosia while you are reading it. There’s
enough for everyone, so somebody grab the spoons from the
kitchen, and save the good ones for Raye and Sue.

‘Rique!
Your damn bugs fly
To Barrayar to make
Delicious maple ambrosia