[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 4 10:37:48 BST 2019

From: Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com>

I should point out that Carrie (RIP, BTW; she died a few years ago) was
furious and disgusted when she went to a school for the deaf and
hard-of-hearing and found herself treated as a traitor to Deafness because
she could and did use ordinary speech instead of just ASL.  I'd pass on her
observations on "Deaf culture" and Deaf separatism, but you're all too
young and innocent for THAT kind of salty language.  Even I was shocked.

Gwynne: I know that some of the deaf community bitterly oppose cochlea
implants, because they feel that it removes people from their community.
I think each case has to be decided individually, in the best interests of the
child - again it's a tough decision for the parents.