[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com
Fri Oct 4 15:43:21 BST 2019

A lot of this was discussed in Heinlein's novel Beyond This Horizon. It takes place when the Eugenics War is still in living memory but starting to fade, and one of the genetic counselors is explaining the contemporary policy to the leading character. No pressure on anybody to have gene-cleaning or not; in fact, they like to keep a strong "Control Natural" population for many and varied reasons.

No genetically engineered modifications are allowed - that way lay some horrors in the past. Just a careful selection of the best the parental genome had to offer. Certain marriages encouraged, to spread desirable traits like resistance to dental caries.

They also - Lois would strongly disagree, but remember, this is a post - holocaust culture - refuse to use "etogenesis" (Uterine replicators) and do encourage breast-feeding. Because when the garden fertilizer hit the fan back then, replicator babies and formula-fed babies died from massive, prolonged power failures.

Considering some of the conditions in war zones from my infancy up (born in 1939) I can't say as I disagree too strongly.