[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Luke Bretscher rocketman0739 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 16:46:40 BST 2019

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 8:03 AM Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> I’ve never understood that point-of-view.    Sometimes the measurement of “normal” is hard to define.   How about having genes that make me as athletic as an Olympic gold medalist?    Is that OK?    Or maybe as athletic as a high-school star?    (Or replace genes with money to get training).   Gordon Cooper had better than 20-20 vision.    Can we modify my genes so that my children have better than 20-20 vision too?   Or is it only OK if we modify them so that they have 20-20 vision, no better?     How *tall* is acceptable for my genes to make my children?   How smart?

One glaring problem with allowing gene-editors to enhance children
beyond normal capabilities is that presumably it would be expensive.
So rich people could afford to make their children into supermen,
while poor people would be stuck with the basic edition of humanity.
The old canard that the rich are supposedly more capable because of
their breeding would start to become _literally_ true. Even the most
meritocratic hiring practices would unavoidably favor the privileged.
It would be a whole new nightmare of class division.

Luke