[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 18:03:07 BST 2019

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 11:47 AM Luke Bretscher <rocketman0739 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 8:03 AM Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
> >
> One glaring problem with allowing gene-editors to enhance children
> beyond normal capabilities is that presumably it would be expensive.
> So rich people could afford to make their children into supermen,
> while poor people would be stuck with the basic edition of humanity.
> The old canard that the rich are supposedly more capable because of
> their breeding would start to become _literally_ true. Even the most
> meritocratic hiring practices would unavoidably favor the privileged.
> It would be a whole new nightmare of class division.
>
> Luke
> --

So, they are gene-edited and wonderful rich kids.  And then?

Some will still waste their lives with 24/7 parties and designer drugs,
while some will continue to be CEOs of their mama's company.  They will
still need chauffeur and nannies and someone to install the 24 carrot
faucets.  Will it be the all-grown-up designer babies doing this, or the
hoi polloi?

Here's the thing, there's no way that I or my children can joint the 1%
today, and there very likely no way that my great-great-great....great
grandchildren will join the 1% in the future.  Or even the 10%.  Gene mods
might not change society as much as we think.