[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Beatrice Otter beatrice_otter at zoho.com
Fri Oct 4 18:10:59 BST 2019

On Oct 4, 2019 2:37 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Gwynne: I know that some of the deaf community bitterly oppose cochlea
> implants, because they feel that it removes people from their community.
> I think each case has to be decided individually, in the best interests of the
> child - again it's a tough decision for the parents.

But then you have the case of parents deciding what is most convenient for them and assuming that that would be in the best interests of the child, which a lot of Deaf adults (some of whom had the implants as children, arranged by parent with the best of intentions) argue that it is NOT in the best interest of the child.  The parents have the right to make the decision (and I'm not suggesting they shouldn't); but if they are not Deaf themselves, how can the possibly understand the full ramifications of the decision they are making?

Beatrice Otter