[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Beatrice Otter beatrice_otter at zoho.com
Fri Oct 4 18:26:09 BST 2019

On Oct 4, 2019 9:13 AM, Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org> wrote:
> Is that *actually* a problem though? Yes the rich would be better,
> smarter, healthier, whatever.
>
> But the idea that they should be prevented from doing that is very close
> to the idea that all humans should be handicapped so no one is any
> better than anyone else. That's abhorrent.

Beatrice Otter
The obvious answer is to have a society in which medical care--including prenatal genetic manipulation--is a basic universal human right.  We already have quite a few societies on earth in which most healthcare is a basic human right, paid for by a National Health System or whatever.  It's not too many steps further down the road to include prenatal genetic manipulation as a standard treatment.

It's been years since I read Norstrillia, but wasn't genetic-manipulation-as-a-class-difference part of that story?

Beatrice Otter