[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Fri Oct 4 18:41:59 BST 2019

I just went from this discussion to my all-campus email folder and opened this:

You are invited to:

"The Rise of New Eugenics:
Ethical Dilemmas and Social Impact of Modern Genetic Technologies"
with Assistant Professor of Biology Natalie Nannas
Wednesday, October 9th
12:00 PM
SCCT 2048
Lunch will be provided and catered by Panera Bread; RSVP here

The term "eugenics" was coined in the late 19th Century to encapsulate the philosophy and practice of artificially "improving" human genetics, but we primarily associate the term with atrocities committed by the Nazi regime. However, America has its own long, dark history of eugenic practices that continued into the 1960s.

Today, we tend to assume that society has moved beyond these practices and beliefs, but modern genetic technologies like genetic screening of embryos, prenatal screening, and the revolutionary new gene-editing technology CRISPR have reopened many concerns over their applications to a modern form of eugenics. From the rise of assisted reproduction to the possibility of using CRISPR in humans, these technologies raise questions about access, privilege, discrimination, and the exploitation of vulnerable populations.

This event is made possible by a generous gift from the Winston Foundation.

The Arthur Levitt Public Affairs Center
Hamilton College
Clinton, NY 13323

If any of you are in the upstate New York region and would like to attend this event, let me know and I’d be glad to take you!

Katherine