[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Luke Bretscher rocketman0739 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 18:57:29 BST 2019

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 10:03:28 -0700 Beatrice Otter
<beatrice_otter at zoho.com> wrote:

>I know you're talking about editing out individual genes, and that's not the same as,
>say, aborting a fetus with those genes. But in many cases, that would still make a
>life so different that it might as well be a completely different person. And we're still
>at the fact that people who've never had the condition are the ones making the
>decision, and such people--especially in academic discussion--tend to be really
>enthusiastic about editing LOTS of things out, which makes those of us who are okay
>with SOME editing and not other editing leery.

As someone with (thankfully not extreme, but still very annoying) OCD,
I would be happy for no one in the future to have to experience that.
Would I be a completely different person if it had been edited out
before my birth? Well, maybe, but so what? Neither version of me was a
person at all back then. It's just exchanging one potentiality for
another, not Back-to-the-Future-ing the present-day me out of
existence.

For a lot of these conditions, I don't see a meaningful difference
between the genetic ones and the infectious ones. How is editing out a
child's genetic predisposition to immunodeficiency morally different
from ensuring that child doesn't contract HIV from their mother? The
child's life may well be different, but again it's just exchanging one
potentiality for a different potentiality with fewer disadvantages.

Luke