[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Fri Oct 4 21:25:46 BST 2019

On Oct 4, 2019, at 5:57 AM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> If my parents had better genes, certainly I would be different than I am today.   Or if they had better money, or if they went on different vacations, or if my 2nd grade teacher was better, or if we didn’t have the Vietnam war…
>
> I inherited my heart problems from my father.   I’m sure he would have rather not had it and passed it on to me, even though I’d be a different person today without it.   And he’d be alive.   (I’d also be a different person if he hadn’t worked hard to have money on the table).

If at a new school back in CA from two years in Catholic school in NM, I had chosen the highest math class—instead of one level down, I might have chosen to go into pharmacy. I was good at math, biology, and chemistry—but until I scored higher on my SATs in math than in English, I had no idea that was the case.

At the time, women, thanks to #€~<* Jacqueline Cochrane, were excluded from NASA’s astronaut program, so while shortstuff here wanted to be an astronaut, I didn’t go into sciences in college.

After college, I should have figured out how, with no money for tuition and fees, nor a car, I could have gone to UCLA’s Library school, 60 miles away—before Prop 13.

I should have, once up in Santa Cruz, applied to SJSU’s library/info science program, in spite of my age.

Paths not taken, for whatever reason.

A. Marina Fournier
Valley of Heart’s Delight, CA
saffronrose at me.com