[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Fri Oct 4 22:40:48 BST 2019

On Fri, Oct 04, 2019 at 02:46:35PM +0000, Pat Mathews wrote:
> Are you kidding about the janitor's children? Decisions made by the haut favor the haut. Decisions made by the ghem favor the ghem. The interests of those beneath them are considered about as much it ever is in a large, highly stratified empire with a top-down government.

A top-down government maybe, but Miles calls the ghem "practicing social
Darwinists".  We know nothing about the below-ghem "servitor castes"
(Giaja's words, maybe he used class instead of caste.)  Maybe they're
free to tweak their genes as they see fit.  Maybe they get consultation
from haut-ladies outside the Star Creche through suitable business
cut-outs.  Maybe there are citizens tweaking their genes and ranks of
designed and cloned azi servants.

-xx- Damien X-)