[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Fri Oct 4 22:56:16 BST 2019

On Fri, Oct 04, 2019 at 10:46:40AM -0500, Luke Bretscher wrote:

> One glaring problem with allowing gene-editors to enhance children
> beyond normal capabilities is that presumably it would be expensive.

Why is that a fair presumption?  The cost of genomics has been dropping
like computer costs.  I would expect the actual genetic edit to be
dwarfed by the cost of extracting an embryo from a mother and putting it
back, or putting it into a replicator.  But the former is probably
similar to IVF, which is covered by some countries today.  And in the
Nexus we know that gene-cleaning and replicator use are considered
standard for galactics.

-xx- Damien X-)