[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Fri Oct 4 23:05:33 BST 2019

On Fri, Oct 04, 2019 at 01:03:00PM -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:

> > universal human right.  We already have quite a few societies on
> > earth in which most healthcare is a basic human right, paid for by a
> > National Health System or whatever.  It's not too many steps further

Two dozen countries.

> A society can try that of course, but more money will always have access to

Societies *do* try that.  We're discussing reality, not pipe dreams.

> more resources, so while society may have medical care as basic universal
> human rights, the rich people will *always* have even better medical care.

Have you heard of diminishing returns?

In many countries the "better health care" of private care means "I have
my own hospital room" or "I don't have to wait as long for elective
procedures".  The core health care is comparable or the same -- I
remember hearing that somewhere, if you had something life
threatening a private hospital would send you back to the public
hospital anyway, so you're literally getting the same care as the poor
people.

Health care isn't like electricity or money, where more is always
better.  Once you're healthy you don't really need more.  A society that
provides a good baseline of care to everyone doesn't leave much room for
the rich to get better care -- they may get a bit better, or more
choices, but there won't be much difference.

Ditto for genetic engineering.  If you're rich maybe you can go consult
with the world expert in design, but that may not buy you much on top of
to the improvement that everyone gets at the public fertility clinic.

-xx- Damien X-)