[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Fri Oct 4 23:16:16 BST 2019

One fun issue is how good genetic control actually is.  We talk about
"genes for" things, but right now our knowledge is probabilistic at best
for most things, and it's possible that elements of intelligence and
personality come in good part from randomness in how our neurons wire
themselves together.  So you're not buying a child who'll be a brilliant
bisexual musician, but a child who is *more likely* to be brilliant,
bisexual, and a musician... but might be a moderate straight
mathematician.  Hope you didn't pay too much! ...and that you won't take
your disappointment out on the child.

I suppose that could even be a reason to ban improvements, if too many
families go toxic when the improvements aren't what they dreamed of.

Separate issue: with stuff like uterine replicators, you have the power
to interfere directly in development.  Hormone mixes and tweaking parts
of the fetus to grow faster than others and such.

-xx- Damien X-)