[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 5 03:25:39 BST 2019

From: Pat Mathews <mathews55 at msn.com>

Are you kidding about the janitor's children? Decisions made by the haut favor the haut. Decisions made by the ghem favor the ghem. The interests of those beneath them are considered about as much it ever is in a large, highly stratified empire with a top-down government.

Gwynne: Please don't be outraged or offended by this, I'm trying to say
it in a non-button-pushing way.

And here's something else that we've only touched on: the needs
of society. It has been mentioned that correcting some genetic abnormalities,
avoiding some life-limiting conditions, may reduce the number of artists,
inventors and innovative thinkers.

But the hard truth of society is.... 'Somebody has to clean the toilets.'  If every
child is enhanced, if every child is Haut... No. The Haut can't exist without the ba,
the Ghem, and the levels below that do all the work.

Basically, we need all types of workers, all levels of society, a wide range of
abilities, to keep things going. So how is that handled? That could be why
gene-cleaning is limited to eradication of problems, but doesn't allow
enhancements.

So now we have the needs of the child, the hopes of the parents, and the
needs of society. And sometimes the needs of society don't align well with
individual freedoms. 'Who decides' now needs to include not just the parents
but an over-view from society as a whole.

It gets complicated, doesn't it!