[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 5 03:56:42 BST 2019

From: Beatrice Otter <beatrice_otter at zoho.com>

I have seen this discussion before, and I am sick of it.
Disabled people spend our whole lives getting told, implicitly and explicitly, that we are a burden and a problem and everything about our lives is a tragedy and a problem for us and those around us.? If we achieve something or have something good, it's despite our disability, and our lives are STILL seen as a tragedy.? If we have any joy or pleasure in our lives, if WE don't think our lives are a tragedy, why, then lots of people spend a lot of time lecturing to us about how wrong we are.? And any place our needs or capabilities differ from "normal" it is unreasonable for us to want accommodation.? If we do get accommodation we need to live good and full lives, it's treated as if we should be eternally grateful for being permitted the resources we need to exist, as if that's something extraordinary......

Gwynne: Everyone's experience is different. Everyone's medical problems are
different. There are quite a few people on the board who have various medical
challenges. Given the choice some may wish to continue as they are, some would
jump at the chance to live without certain difficulties. We all develop our own
coping strategies, and our own opinions about it.

But I think that if you asked people who carry life-limiting conditions, "Would
you wish your child to be safe from this condition?" then many people would
say yes.

Would you choose to let your child carry the genes for cancer... Parkinsons...
Alzheimers.... heart disease... etc, or would you say "Please correct that."?