[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 5 04:39:44 BST 2019

From: Beatrice Otter <beatrice_otter at zoho.com>

On Oct 4, 2019 2:37 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Gwynne: I know that some of the deaf community bitterly oppose cochlea
> implants, because they feel that it removes people from their community.
> I think each case has to be decided individually, in the best interests of the
> child - again it's a tough decision for the parents.

But then you have the case of parents deciding what is most convenient for them and assuming that that would be in the best interests of the child, which a lot of Deaf adults (some of whom had the implants as children, arranged by parent with the best of intentions) argue that it is NOT in the best interest of the child.? The parents have the right to make the decision (and I'm not suggesting they shouldn't); but if they are not Deaf themselves, how can the possibly understand the full ramifications of the decision they are making?
Beatrice Otter

Gwynne: Parents make decisions based on the information they have at the
time. They do the best they can do. When you say 'convenient' does that
mean 'avoiding a medical condition that would take all of the family's
resources, time, money and energy to deal with'? Is it wrong for a parent
to wish to avoid having a high-needs child? Caring for that child can
impact negatively on other siblings; can even stop other siblings from
being born, because the family doesn't have the time or money for more.
Would it be wrong for a parent to wish their child to be strong and healthy,
instead of facing a far more difficult and limited life?

All you can do is the best you can do, and hope it was the right choice.

As for your example of the deaf who aren't happy that they had cochlea
implants: the majority of those who have the implants are delighted. Should
we let those who aren't happy about it make the decisions for children
they don't know, and for whom they have no responsibility? No solution
is perfect for everyone.