[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 5 05:21:14 BST 2019

From: Brian Ross Ashley <brashley46 at gmail.com>

On 4 Oct 2019 11:13:09 -0600, Howard Brazee<howard at brazee.net>
wrote:
> What is ?normal??
> I?m reminded of the agency which will accept someone whose IQ score is 40 as ?retarded?, but
> rejects someone whose IQ is 41 who?s just stupid.

Whereas I am reminded of the cartoon I've seen repeatedly on Faceplant: "Mommy, what's normal?" "Oh, that's just a setting on the clothes drier."

Gwynne: Just to restate, my post that I think kicked this bit off was a
suggestion about drawing the line: to deal with genetic abnormalities
that limited life (meaning cancer genes, Alzheimers, all those tragic
chromosomal disorders and so on) but not to allow enhancing; no
higher intelligence, special skills, etc.

At no point did I say 'normal'. What I meant was to allow each child to
carry whatever potential they had, whatever talents, appearance, etc -
but to remove life-limiting conditions so that the child could develop
whatever they wished and could do.

Normal is a difficult thing to pin down. I just meant to remove dangerous
medical problems, and then let the child be its own normal. No
tinkering to pour in extras, no designer babies.