[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 5 06:43:24 BST 2019

=From: Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net>

On Fri, Oct 04, 2019 at 08:20:05AM +0000, Gwynne Powell wrote:
> But don't add anything. Don't build in musical ability, don't change
> intelligence, don't add specific talents. Take away the impediments
> so that the real, natural spirit and strengths can shine. I think that would

But why?  Why is a random gene assortment (with bads filtered out)
better than a deliberate gene assortment?
-xx- Damien X-)

Gwynne: Mostly because it is random. It gives the advantage of a range
of talents and abilities throughout society. It also gives more individuality.
Think of the problems if we allowed even the simplest things like sex
selection (also covered by Lois, she thinks of everything.) There's huge social
problems in China and India now because of unofficial sex selection: in
China many girls are kidnapped every year by parents trying to get a wife
for their son. And in India, at one point in rural areas the sex ratio was
140 males for every 100 females. Now there's horrific attacks and treatment
of young women by men desperate to get a wife.

Allowing total selection isn't a great idea if almost everyone is going to
select the same things.

And if parents build a baby and have a very tight set of expectations, there
will be problems when the child chooses a totally different direction anyway.
At least if it's left to random selection there's a bit more room for variety,
and acceptance of it.