[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Luke Bretscher rocketman0739 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 07:01:20 BST 2019

On Sat, Oct 5, 2019, 12:43 AM Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Gwynne: Mostly because it is random. It gives the advantage of a range
> of talents and abilities throughout society. It also gives more
> individuality.
> Think of the problems if we allowed even the simplest things like sex
> selection (also covered by Lois, she thinks of everything.)
>
> Allowing total selection isn't a great idea if almost everyone is going to
> select the same things.

To expand a little on that: think of any past era of history. Imagine that
they had had the power to choose what humanity would be, from that time
forward. Not just to remove diseases, but to decide which physical or
personality traits were desirable and should be perpetuated.

Would you be happy to entrust such decisions to the jingoists, theocrats,
Malthusians, chauvinists, warmongers, social-Darwinists,
scientific-racists, gender-essentialists, and so on of the past? If not,
how should we be so arrogant as to suppose that we of the present (unlike
all previous humans in history) are responsible enough for that power?

Luke