[LMB] No lefties in the Nexus

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Sat Oct 5 14:57:10 BST 2019

On Sat, Oct 05, 2019 at 06:08:42AM +0000, Gwynne Powell wrote:
> From: Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net>
>
> A top-down government maybe, but Miles calls the ghem "practicing social
> Darwinists".  We know nothing about the below-ghem "servitor castes"
> (Giaja's words, maybe he used class instead of caste.)  Maybe they're

> Gwynne: Miles isn't always the most accurate or objective of observers.

No, but we don't have any reason to doubt him here, and he does know
more than we do about ghem roaming around Barrayar.

> But still, I'd be surprised if the lower Cetagandan classes weren't gene-
> altered to the max. I have a vague idea that cloning might be involved,

This depends on what the haut view the lower classes as *for*.  We know
they "take up" genes; letting the lower classes run wild, while the haut
are a curated garden, fits what we see.

> from a passing comment I can't find again. I could see the Haut and Ghem
> turning out batches of slave labour. And probably Jeevesing the poor sods

We're told in Cetaganda that the haut don't clone servants, that would
be gauche, everything has to be unique.  It sort of implies that the
ghem do, and I've imagined something like Cherryh's azi, or the castes
of Brave New World.  But we don't know.

For my own headcanon, I'd assume citizens who can have children like any
other galactic family, and azi.  Given haut lip service to interstellar
law, I would figure the azi are *legally* citizens, not slaves.  But
they've been raised in creches for a specific purpose, and refusing to
serve may mean not just losing their job and being blacklisted, but all
their creche-sibs getting blacklisted too.  So "free" but not real
choice.

So:

haut
ghem