[LMB] No lefties

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Sun Oct 6 01:05:02 BST 2019

>> On Oct 4, 2019, at 9:55 PM, Douglas Weinfield <douglasw at his.com> wrote:
>>
>> What's your basis for thinking that random genetic variability will be
better for tomorrow than an intentional effort to anticipate tomorrow?
>> I mean, evolution works by killing off the weak branches, no?

Bananas currently. The best breed for yield and ease of harvesting, which
made it the most cultivated, is unfortunately the most prone to a disease
which kills the plant.

Or the Irish potato famine back in the 19th century.

Relative monocultures -- a likely effect of genetic design -- can be
easily brought down by new diseases or other threats.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

If there is a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, you must be the one to write it.
-- Toni Morrison