Jelbelser jelbelser at comcast.net
Mon Oct 7 00:50:37 BST 2019

> On Oct 6, 2019, at 10:20 AM, Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> “With the help of 40 trained lay volunteers and 15 physicians, more than
> 1,500 people volunteered for testing and were processed through the
> ‘system’ in about 5 hours,” Dr. Kaback later recalled in an article in the
> journal Genetics in Medicine. “For me, it was like having written a
> symphony and hearing it for the first time — and it went beautifully,
> without glitches.”
>
> A machine to process the tests cost $15,000. “We had bazaars, cake sales,
> sold stockings, and that’s how we raised money for the machine,” Zeiger
> said.

I remember when the test became available in the early ‘70s. I was a college student. The Jewish Community Center arranged a bus to take all interested Jewish students from campus to the JCC for testing, at no charge.

I am negative for Tay-Sachs.

My brother developed a seizure disorder when he was a toddler in the early 60’s. He was an inpatient at NIH for several months. My father told me that it was for a Tay-Sachs study because he had a distant cousin who had died of that, although my brother didn’t have Tay-Sachs. The seizures ended in a few years and he lived until 60.

Janet in TN