Lois Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Mon Oct 7 02:29:15 BST 2019

Harvey Fishman fishman at panix.com
Sun Oct 6 04:03:11 BST 2019

Gwynne:  >None of this is enhancing, it's just removing problems. The
child would still
 >have whatever abilities and strengths were within them. That'd be a whole
 >different conversation.

Harvey:  But you cannot change just one thing. Natural selection had
done pretty
damned well over the last N thousand years.

LMB:  Speak for yourself, says every woman ever.

A possibly useful test question might be, if one had the genetic
engineering capacities, would one elect to _insert_ the [whatever
genetic condition is being debated] into one's embryonic child?

If the answer is "No!" the prior question seems also answered.

Ta, L.