Harvey Fishman fishman at panix.com
Mon Oct 7 14:01:21 BST 2019

------ Original Message ------
From: "Lois Bujold" <lbujold at myinfmail.com>
Bcc: fishman at panix.com
To: lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
Sent: 10/6/2019 9:29:15 PM
Subject: [LMB] We've been discussing gene engineering on people...

>Harvey:  But you cannot change just one thing. Natural selection had done pretty
>damned well over the last N thousand years.
>

>LMB:  Speak for yourself, says every woman ever.
>
>A possibly useful test question might be, if one had the genetic engineering capacities, would one elect to _insert_ the [whatever genetic condition is being debated] into one's embryonic child?
>
>If the answer is "No!" the prior question seems also answered.
>
>Ta, L.

I repeat, we cannot change just one thing. What else are you removing
when you extract [whatever genetic condition is being debated]? It's a
gigantic crap-shoot where you have no idea of the odds or even the
number of sides on the dice. Posit the case that you could change a
single thing AND knew exactly what to change, then yes perhaps. But
until then, I say go with history.

Harvey