Luke Bretscher rocketman0739 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 16:22:00 BST 2019

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 8:29 PM Lois Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:

> A possibly useful test question might be, if one had the genetic
> engineering capacities, would one elect to _insert_ the [whatever
> genetic condition is being debated] into one's embryonic child?
>
> If the answer is "No!" the prior question seems also answered.
>
> Ta, L.

Useful yes, but it has limitations. I doubt any parents of race X
would elect to make their kid appear to be of race Y (except maybe if
race X were heavily stigmatized), but it would be very worrisome to
think of editing race Y out of the gene pool.

And yes, this is a contrived example, one which I don't think any of
us here or anyone in the Vorkosiverse had in mind. But I'm sure we can
all think of unenlightened societies where the line between "unfavored
race" and "heritable disorder" was less clear.

Luke