Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 8 00:49:08 BST 2019

"Harvey Fishman" <fishman at panix.com> wrote:
>Harvey:  But you cannot change just one thing. Natural selection had done pretty
>damned well over the last N thousand years.

In some cases, that's simply not true.  We know that one specific
and very short gene sequence produces a defective protein, or fails
to produce a protein, where a slightly different sequence gives the
proper results.  Change that bit of damage and nothing else, and there
are no other changes.  Or people can have extra copies of a specific
gene, and the overproduction of a protein causes other problems.
If one could delete the extra copies of that gene, and make no other
changes, the person would be better off.

See this, for example:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090204101300.htm

The crucial factor is being able to make changes very specifically.

Joel