quietann quietann at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 19:46:00 BST 2019

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 12:42 PM WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:

> The list knows that I dote on my granddaughters. Hazel is ADHD and Elanor
> is type 1 diabetic. I wouldn’t change either.
>
> Christian, husband, father, granddaddy, son, American. Here I stand. I can
> do no other. God help me.
> William A Wenrich

As I Type 1 diabetic, I don't think you, who do not have Type 1 diabetes,
have any right to make that decision for her. I've had it for most of my
life -- 44 out of 55 years -- and while management has become much easier,
and I am doing extremely well given how long I've had it, I'd rather not
have it.  The available treatments are expensive and require a lot of
attention.

However, at this point, Type 1 diabetes is not something that can be
screened for or edited out of a genome.

I work for an infertility clinic and it's possible to screen IVF embryos
for a lot of purely genetic diseases, as well as various aneuploidies.
Expensive and complicated, but possible. I do not fault anyone who chooses
to do such a screening.

Ann

quietann at gmail.com

aka "The Accidental Jewess"