Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 20:55:13 BST 2019

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 9:29 PM Lois Bujold <lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:

> LMB:  Speak for yourself, says every woman ever.

No one said the end results aren't awful, but they were probably as good as
they could get in the ancestral environment.  "Best" is not "good'.

Even as a child, I found it a little ironic that the quaddies had the only
unique aspect of human anatomy edited out.

> A possibly useful test question might be, if one had the genetic
> engineering capacities, would one elect to _insert_ the [whatever
> genetic condition is being debated] into one's embryonic child?
>
> If the answer is "No!" the prior question seems also answered.

Not wanting to make any decision, or recognizing that the limits on our
personal and collective understanding might not permit such a decision to
be made wisely, would also result in a "no!" - so if your standard were
applied, the wisest and most cautious of us wouldn't have any children at
all.

Would you knowingly insert a gene combination into a prospective child that
caused their physical attractiveness to be below-average?  A lot of people
are extremely concerned about beauty, and probably even more would make
choices out of such concern if the choice were hidden.

Matt G.