Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 11 03:24:11 BST 2019

From: "Harvey Fishman" <fishman at panix.com>

>LMB:  Speak for yourself, says every woman ever.
>A possibly useful test question might be, if one had the genetic engineering capacities, would one elect to _insert_ the [whatever genetic condition is being debated] into one's embryonic child?
>If the answer is "No!" the prior question seems also answered.
>Ta, L.

I repeat, we cannot change just one thing. What else are you removing
when you extract [whatever genetic condition is being debated]? It's a
gigantic crap-shoot where you have no idea of the odds or even the
number of sides on the dice. Posit the case that you could change a
single thing AND knew exactly what to change, then yes perhaps. But
until then, I say go with history.
Harvey

Gwynne: We're assuming that in the Nexus they do have the knowledge
and technology to deal with the problematic genes without removing
anything you want to keep.