Beatrice Otter beatrice_otter at zoho.com
Fri Oct 11 03:32:20 BST 2019

---- On Wed, 09 Oct 2019 10:54:40 -0700 WalterStuartBushell <mailto:proto at panix.com> wrote ----

> On Oct 7, 2019, at 6:31 PM, Beatrice Otter <mailto:beatrice_otter at zoho.com> wrote:
>
> But  “this can shorten your life" would not count, it has to be something where the condition is the primary cause of death.

Huntingdon’s syndrome and lack of resistance to infection are corner cases here. Dementia in its forms is a terrible way
to go. Would you wipe out genes that would put someone in a wheelchair by ten with an otherwise normal lifespan?

I was thinking more of things like Down's Syndrome, which has a shorter lifespan than average (partly because of inherent physical problems, and partly because of substandard care).  However, many people with Down's Syndrome live full and complete lives.  Their quality of life is determined largely by what supports they receive for their condition.  Many people who do not have Down's Syndrome would like to eradicate it.  Many people who do have Down's Syndrome don't want it eradicated; instead, they would rather have a society that supports them and treats them as fully human.

If you had quoted my entire post, you would have noted that in my proposed method of handling genetic edits for medical conditions, if a supermajority of people with the condition think it should be eradicated, it would be on the list of genetic edits that could be made automatically.  Huntingdon's and diabetes would certainly qualify on that level.  Down's syndrome, autism, deafness, and some others would not.

My belief is that people who have the condition should get a say (and a large one!) in whether or not it gets eradicated.  By eliminating the rest of my post and responding only to one line of it, especially when some peoples' email program strips my emails out so they only see my words in digest form or when someone responds to me, you have twisted my words out of context and implied me to be advocating something far more extreme than I actually am.  Snipping is good; over-snipping is not.

Beatrice Otter