Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 11 04:12:55 BST 2019

From: Luke Bretscher <rocketman0739 at gmail.com>

Useful yes, but it has limitations. I doubt any parents of race X
would elect to make their kid appear to be of race Y (except maybe if
race X were heavily stigmatized), but it would be very worrisome to
think of editing race Y out of the gene pool.
And yes, this is a contrived example, one which I don't think any of
us here or anyone in the Vorkosiverse had in mind. But I'm sure we can
all think of unenlightened societies where the line between "unfavored
race" and "heritable disorder" was less clear.
Luke

Gwynne: That slides us into the next dilemma: If a certain appearance,
hair or skin colour, etc, faces heavy bias, it seems harsh to say that the
child must carry that burden for the sake of diversity. 'You have to suffer
and have a pretty miserable life for the sake of the rest of us so that
we and our descendants can benefit from diversity.' Surely any parent
would want to give their child the best life possible, it's understandable
that they'd  select for whatever helps their child.

And, deep down, I have a feeling that the people who would legislate to
protect diversity aren't the ones whose children would be the really diverse
ones.