Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Fri Oct 11 04:34:56 BST 2019

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 11:15:23AM +0800, Sharon Micenko wrote:

> Considering the changes in Genetics in the two hundred give or take years since Mendel - another Gregor, by the way, five hundred plus years of research and experiment is somewhat mind-boggling. For no other reason any treatable inherited medical condition would be screened out to avoid the cost of treatment. And I rather thing that adds to the horror of mutation after the Isolation. Nobody had had to, or knew how to deal with genetic mutations before they started occurring.

I think Barrayar was settled around six hundred years "before present",
not sure if end of Isolation or Miles 100 years later.  Certainly
relatively early in Nexus colonization.  So the colonists source
population may not have been that screened, compared to modern
galactics.  OTOH the actual colonists were probably skewed to being
healthy.

-xx- Damien X-)