Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Fri Oct 11 04:50:38 BST 2019

On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 12:47:42PM +0000, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:

> I’m sorry to have confused the issue. Elanor has type 1 diabetes. If a
> cure was found, I’d pay anything to get it for her. We do not now and
> likely never will have RL gene cleaning.

"likely never will" is a pretty strong claim; we have (complicated,
expensive) genetic diagnosis right now, and CRISPR provides the basis of
single-gene editing.

> The closest we come now is
> the eugenicist answer that she should have never been born. My
> personal opinion is that eugenics is an evil idea and certainly evil
> in practice. (BTW, has anyone on the list read Bladerunner by Nourse?)

Are Jews evil for avoiding having children with Tay-Sachs?

> As to Hazel, her ADHD is a integral part of her personality. A treatment plan that would give her more control would be good but I don’t see any way to change her without making her a different person.

But many ADD/ADHD sufferers do try to make it go away with the right
drugs.  A friend of mine has been academically crippled by her
condition; she was happy to find that Adderall helped only to then learn
it's illegal in Japan.  And yes, drugs change her personality -- in
ways she wants.

-xx- Damien X-)