Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 11 06:06:29 BST 2019

From: Beatrice Otter <beatrice_otter at zoho.com>

Beatrice Otter
If you had quoted my entire post, you would have noted that in my proposed method of handling genetic edits for medical conditions, if a supermajority of people with the condition think it should be eradicated, it would be on the list of genetic edits that could be made automatically.? Huntingdon's and diabetes would certainly qualify on that level.? Down's syndrome, autism, deafness, and some others would not.

Gwynne: We seem to have a fair amount of agreement on the board for that.

Beatrice Otter
My belief is that people who have the condition should get a say (and a large one!) in whether or not it gets eradicated.? By eliminating the rest of my post and responding only to one line of it, especially when some peoples' email program strips my emails out so they only see my words in digest form or when someone responds to me, you have twisted my words out of context and implied me to be advocating something far more extreme than I actually am.? Snipping is good; over-snipping is not.

Gwynne: I think many parents would have an issue with random strangers
having control over what sort of children other people can have. As if they
have ownership because that embryo shares their disability. People with that
problem could certainly make the disadvantages, and advantages, of that
condition well known and understood. They could offer help and support for
the parents and child, they could campaign for government resources. But
the final say should rest with the parents, who will be raising the child and
who have the closest emotional connection.

As for the responses: sometimes when there's a long post there'll be one section
that really jumps out at me, so I respond to that part. Generally if I agree
with the rest of it, or have no strong feelings either way, there's no need to
go through all of the rest of it, so like most posters I just concentrate on the
part that concerns or interests me the most. It's not meant as an insult or criticism.