Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 11 10:21:56 BST 2019

From: Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net>

> As to Hazel, her ADHD is a integral part of her personality. A treatment plan that would give her more control would be good but I don?t see any way to change her without making her a different person.

But many ADD/ADHD sufferers do try to make it go away with the right
drugs.  A friend of mine has been academically crippled by her
condition; she was happy to find that Adderall helped only to then learn
it's illegal in Japan.  And yes, drugs change her personality -- in
ways she wants.

Gwynne: A friend had a son diagnosed with ADHD at around age 9. He
was given the usual drugs. A few months later I asked him what he
thought about all that. He said he'd never been happier: for the first
time he had friends at school. He'd learned to read and not only caught
up with the class; he was in one of the top groups. He enjoyed school.
He'd stopped bedwetting. He thought it was all wonderful, his life was
so much better. It'd make you cry to see how much he enjoyed the
simplest activities, the things most people take for granted. He wasn't
in trouble all the time any more.

A happy child doing well, and finally enjoying childhood; that's what
every parent wants to see.