[LMB] Milkweed and mutations

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 11 17:52:09 BST 2019

Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> wrote:
> (It's always interesting to read English fantasy when English is not
> your native language: you never know what things are real and what are
> invented.  I remember thinking "soda fountain" was a weird SF-nal
> invention back when I first read Heinlein.)

That one isn't a language thing, it's a cultural thing.  Jo Walton,
who grew up in Wales, had the same reaction:
https://www.tor.com/2010/12/03/ever-outward-robert-a-heinleins-have-space-suit-will-travel/

The "working as a soda jerk in a drug store" thing seemed a bit weird to
me, Canadian in my mid-50s, when I read that book when I was around 12.
But I could reconcile it with my impressions of 1950s small-town USA
from things like the TV show "Happy Days".

Joel