[LMB] Milkweed and mutations

Gretchen Wright gretchen.m.wright at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 19:06:39 BST 2019

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 10:00 AM Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> wrote:

> TIL milkweed is a real plant!
>
> (It's always interesting to read English fantasy when English is not
> your native language: you never know what things are real and what are
> invented.

Thanks for sharing this! It's amazing to be reminded that someone else can
have such a different experience of the same book than mine. (Even though
it's something that Herself comments on frequently.)

I grew up in Ohio, so for me, mentions of the flora and fauna in the WGW
universe take me back to my childhood. What about fireflies? (I can't
remember without looking what terms for them is used in the book. We called
them lightning bugs growing up.) IIRC they don't exist west of the Rockies
in North America. I'm not sure about other continents.

Another thing that might not be familiar to all listies is redwing
blackbirds, presumably Dag's namesake. That's something I very much
associate with going on drives in rural Ohio, seeing them perched on fences
next to cultivated fields. (Hmm, why is it a Lakewalker name and not
farmer?)

Oh, and I have a WGW language question. Several times the expression is
used "to beat something all hollow." (Meaning to be far superior.) The only
other place I've come across this phrase is in the Laura Ingalls Wilder
Little House series, so I think of it as archaic and associated with 19th
century America. What are other people's associations for it?

Gretchen