[LMB] Milkweed and mutations

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Oct 11 21:43:07 BST 2019

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 04:52:09PM +0000, Joel Polowin wrote:
> Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> wrote:
> > (It's always interesting to read English fantasy when English is not
> > your native language: you never know what things are real and what are
> > invented.  I remember thinking "soda fountain" was a weird SF-nal
> > invention back when I first read Heinlein.)
>
> That one isn't a language thing, it's a cultural thing.  Jo Walton,
> who grew up in Wales, had the same reaction:
> https://www.tor.com/2010/12/03/ever-outward-robert-a-heinleins-have-space-suit-will-travel/
>
> The "working as a soda jerk in a drug store" thing seemed a bit weird to
> me, Canadian in my mid-50s, when I read that book when I was around 12.
> But I could reconcile it with my impressions of 1950s small-town USA
> from things like the TV show "Happy Days".

I certainly remember small-town drug stores with a soda fountain!
My guess is it was an early form of what has now gone to a very far
extreme, wherein 90% of the inventory in a drug store has NOTHING
to do with drugs or medicines.

And soda fountains have gone the way of the dodo bird since they
require a human to man (er, I mean person) them and that costs
money. Not to mention ongoing maintenance (washing the dishes,
cost of the dishes, constantly makng sure you have enough ice cream
and soda syrup and carbonated water and ice and...). Stuff on a shelf
is much easier to manage.

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding