[LMB] Lois-Bujold Digest, Vol 173, Issue 50

Douglas Weinfield douglasw at his.com
Fri Oct 11 22:11:33 BST 2019

Those strike me as erroneous overgeneralizations.

Empathy is the way things work.
The military fights only a small fraction of the time. And empathy is ESSENTIAL to military performance. "No man left behind", right?
Empathy is results. Results without empathy are meaningless and empty.

Go enjoy your lawful evil world. But be sure to read "The Evolution of Cooperation" first.

On 10/11/19 10:33 AM, Luke Bretscher wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 6:58 AM Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
>>
>>   But sociopaths and psychopaths have been shown to be useful, and run
>> lots of businesses and governments.
>
> Can one really look at the state of the world today and think it's a
> _good_ thing that people with no empathy are running our nations and
> corporations??

In many cases yes.

Empathy gets in the way of making things work. It's far more important
that the military *wins* when it fights. Or that the corporation meets
its profit targets. If it goes out of business then there's nothing for
anyone. In the final reckoning reality does not care about empathy it
only cares about results.

In D&D terms I'd rather have a Lawful Evil government than a Chaotic
Good one. With the first the laws are known and not arbitrary, and a
fake sob story doesn't get someone anything they didn't earn. It's fair.

The second one is just shambolic.