[LMB] OT: language and cultural generations

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Oct 11 23:51:40 BST 2019

> On Oct 11, 2019, at 4:24 PM, Lois Aleta Fundis <loisaletafundis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Exactly.  About the same time "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" came out, in
> the late 1950s, my older brother was working as a soda jerk (among other
> fairly menial tasks) at our local drugstore.

I keep coming across references to popular culture *after* my time.   Part of this is normal old fogey ignorance, but part of it is because there is so much more popular culture nowadays.

I sometimes wonder how much I miss though from popular culture references of Twain and Dickens.   I catch some, but probably miss far more.

SF can sometimes seem more outdated than mainstream literature.   After all, we can expect a novel set in the 50’s to have cultural norms of that time.    But re-reading a SF novel written in the 50’s that takes place in our future, we don’t expect spacemen to come home to their housewives.