Jelbelser jelbelser at comcast.net
Sat Oct 12 01:03:39 BST 2019

On Oct 11, 2019, at 4:21 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Gwynne: A friend had a son diagnosed with ADHD at around age 9. He
> was given the usual drugs. A few months later I asked him what he
> thought about all that. He said he'd never been happier: for the first
> time he had friends at school. He'd learned to read and not only caught
> up with the class; he was in one of the top groups. He enjoyed school.
> He'd stopped bedwetting. He thought it was all wonderful, his life was
> so much better. It'd make you cry to see how much he enjoyed the
> simplest activities, the things most people take for granted. He wasn't
> in trouble all the time any more.

My son has ADHD, and other conditions that affect his appetite. He was seriously underweight. Every ADHD med killed his appetite, so he could not take any. When he was 18, a senior in high school, and had reached his adult height, he finally was able to take a stimulant med. In three months his weight dropped to 125 lbs. (he was 6 ft tall!) and he had to stop. He was in tears. “I can take the med and function but die, or I can stop the med and stop functioning.”  After several years he was able to take a lower dose and make sure he ate enough to maintain his 130 lbs.

Properly prescribed ADHD meds don’t change a person’s personality; they merely allow a person to achieve more of their goals. To what extent does that alter one’s personality?

Janet in TN