[LMB] Milkweed and mutations

Brian Ross Ashley brashley46 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 03:56:57 BST 2019

On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 17:09:21 -0400, WalterStuartBushell<proto at panix.com>
wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2019, at 9:59 AM, Marius Gedminas<marius at gedmin.as>  wrote:
>
> (It's always interesting to read English fantasy when English is not
> your native language: you never know what things are real and what are
> invented.  I remember thinking "soda fountain" was a weird SF-nal
> invention back when I first read Heinlein.)
>
> Marius Gedminas

> Ah yes. It?s now an anachronism. Star Beast reference? The Star Beast was raising John Thomases.

> How Bobby got that one through the censors, I never know. Like I?ll never know how the elephant
> got into Groucho?s pajamas.

So according to family lore Mom was behind the candy counter, effectively a soda-jerk, at a drug store in Fort Myers when she met my Dad in 1942. (He was training to be a tailgunner in the USAAF tactical bomber, the B26.) Soda fountains, candy counters, etc., were a thing in Walgreens in the small-town South.
These days you have to find a Dairy Queen or similar.